Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Tuesday Sept 20

Just got in from tucking Donnie in for the night.  Today was another day of running my tail off with details for Donnie.

He was bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning when I arrived.  I arrived a little later than I wanted but we had to change hotel rooms to have two beds instead of one because there are already three of us and Donnie's daughter, Mindy, was flying in tonight plus trying to get a few important emails answered was critical and I had to order a few products from Young Living for Donnie.  I also had about a 20 minute conversation with the owner of JCT Trucking (the trucking company Donnie gets his load dispatches from in Tulsa, Oklahoma) about whether or not I should tell Donnie about David dying or not especially since he keeps asking questions about him all the time.  John Christner told me I absolutely HAD to tell him and that not telling him was making it worse for me and him.  So I arrived at the hospital and the first thing he asked me was, "Am I allowed to know any details yet?"  I said he probably could as he was doing so great.  He immediately said, "I need to know about David." And then he looked at me with very strong eyes like he meant it.  I held his hand and very gently and quietly said, "Honey, I know. Um, well...David was killed instantly."  Donnie took it pretty hard and his heart started pounding pretty hard.  I just kept consoling him and he just kept gasping and fidgiting in the bed.  I told him that John Christner would like to talk to him on the phone but Donnie had to wait about 30 minutes before he gave me permission to put John on the phone with him.  John is a very wise business man and he has had to do things around this type of thing many times as he has a fleet of over 900 trucks!  Whatever he said to Donnie helped him quite a bit.  After that call Mom and I held Donnie's hand on either side of the bed and prayed with him.  He is so appreciative of prayers!  He said that helped him a lot!  After that he looked at me and asked, "May I ask if we still have a truck?"  I said, "No Baby, no more truck."   He again took that pretty hard but he said he needed to accept all of this and move on.

I had a lot of details to iron out for Donnie today so I could not stay long.  I had to cancel his credit cards because his wallet was not found.  I had to go buy a couple of big totes to put all the things that were recovered from the truck in and coordinate one of the JCT's 900 trucks to pick up all of the things that were recovered so we could empty the rental car and get it returned by 6PM.

Julie was back at the motel room changing all of our stuff from one room to another. So Mom and I went and got the totes, came back to the motel and then Mom walked back to see Donnie while Julie and I took off to the TA Truck Stop to meet the JCT driver that was contacted by the home office with our situation.  Traffic was terrible today so all this took much longer than it should have.  We took the two big totes and the two very large tool boxes that we salvaged from the wreckage to the truck stop and met the driver and got that unloaded from the car.

After that we finally got to eat a meal and then went to the grocery store to get some things Julie could cook up and have on hand so we don't have to eat out for every meal.  We have a kitchenette in our hotel room.  Julie also did up our laundry and is building a web page so everyone can get updated everyday.  She has been such a huge help behind the scenes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  As soon as we got all the groceries unloaded and put away, we headed back to the car rental place to return the car before it got charged for another day.

I rushed back up to see Donnie as it was now approaching 5PM!!!  I was just running and panting!  Donnie wanted to immediately call Kay Terry (the widow of the driver, David Terry).  He was tormented about not speaking to her after knowing about David's demise.  She was very kind and sweet to Donnie and I know it was so very hard for him to do it.  That was so very healing for both of them.  I got to stay with Mom and we kept adjusting him for comfort as he requested and helped the nursing staff with changing bandages and underpads on the bed for Donnie.  He is in total bed rest and is not being made to get up at all due to the extent of his wounds.  We just got him comfortable again when I got a call from Dr. Gary Young's personal assistant, Vallory Judd who helps run the Young Living Clinic in Ecuador.  She was horrified of this news and sent me some great oil recipies for Don's pain.  During the call Mom and I decided to walk to the motel so we could eat supper and get some specific oils Donnie wanted us to apply for him.

After dinner Julie and I walked back to the hospital to see Donnie and his daughter, Mindy, was already there!  He was so very happy and Mindy, Julie and I stayed and visited with Donnie and helped him with a few things.  Julie also brought her camera up there so we could photo shoot some of the trauma ICU nurses that are totally awesome so we can put them on the blog.  She also took a picture of the dirty "Sugar Bear" bear with Donnie to post on the blog and then we will wash "Sugar Bear" and photo him again when Donnie is all better.

That's all I have for today.  That's enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment