Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Saturday morning, September 16, 2011 the phone awakens me at 6:40AM.  The question asked, "Who am I speaking with?"  I answer back, "Umm, who are you?"  They answer, "I am Officer Timmerman of the Arizona Department of Transportation, do you know a Leon David Terry?"  I answer, "Well, I guess I do, I just did not know his first name was Leon, I know him as David Terry, why?"  He answered,  "There's been an accident and I need to get in touch with his family."  I immediately asked, "An accident!!!  What about Don Schirr?"  He asks, "How do you know Don?"  I said, "I am his wife."  He said, "He was flown by helicopter to Las Vegas, Nevada and is in critical condition, do you have any contact information, a phone number or an address for Leon David Terry?"  I began to shake and my breathing became very rapid and my heart started pounding.  I searched and searched for over an hour to find any information for Mr. Terry but was unsuccessful.  After just 30 minutes of searching for the information I called my Mother in Winter Haven, Florida and said, "Mom, I am so scared (I was starting to hyper ventilate) I don't know what to do, I just got a call from the Arizona Department of Transportation and they said Donnie and his friend got in a bad accident and Donnie is in critical condition in Las Vegas, Nevada!!  I can't find any information about David Terry and I need to get to Las Vegas, Nevada...I am so scared...I don't know what to do!"

My Mom replied, "What do you want me to do, I'll go anywhere, I'll do anything!"  I just asked her to find me a flight as soon as possible and I would continue to search for the information that Officer Timmerman neeeded.  She called back within 40 minutes with flight information and an email confirmation.  She booked herself a flight and we were to arrive within 10 minutes of each other...by 7PM Pacific Time.  When we arrived at the Sunrise Medical Trama Center about 8PM we were informed that Don had just been taken to surgery to stop the bleeding coming from his right buttocks.  We proceeded to check into a hotel across the street from the Trauma Center and get a bite to eat at Denny's and then returned to ICU.  Don was still heavily sedated at that time.  He had multiple serious wounds and was trying to come out of anesthesia.  When he opened his swollen and purple eyes, he was so glad to see me!  He could talk but not move very much.  He had tons of staples all over his head, in his hair, along the sides of his face and across his forehead.  When he arrived at the hospital from his flight he was covered in blood and dirt!  He was almost totally bandaged from the neck to his toes because of road rash and multiple wounds.   He could talk some but it was a struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment