Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

Surgery Update

Hello again,
I had sent out a mid-day update earlier today about Don being back from surgery. So this is the remaining update from today.
We have the wound vac working well tonight. We've had some challenges with trying to keep the line from being pinched off but we finally got him propped on his right side enough to keep the flow going. Tonight I am feeling very alert so before dark I mentioned to my Mom that I felt really good and thought she should take the night off to sleep since she only got about 2 hours of sleep between last night and the one hour during Donnie's surgery. She did not argue one bit and got her things ready and got on her way before the sun went down. I watched her walk all the way to the hotel from Don's room so I knew she was safe.
As I said earlier today, we have not heard from the surgeon so we don't know what he has to say but when I was propping Donnie on his side to get him comfortable I saw the surgical site because it is not covered by any gauze or bandage...just the wound vac. It took me back and it is a good thing I am not a fainter. I don't think Mom saw it or she would have said something. Obviously all of the flesh that was intact showing just the 2 inch hole was infected and must have not been salvageable because not he has a massive section about the size of my hand and 2-3 inches deep missing. The wound vac has this very dark grey, almost black, foam material that is stuffed in this massive hole and it is draining the wound. Once this heals (with your prayers and some time) then the plastic surgeon can start doing some reconstruction of the muscle and skin in the area. This section is located on the upper side of the buttocks which is good because it won't have to be sat on once he is able to sit.
He is on very frequent pain medication as you can imagine. He said that he felt much better tonight which really amazed me. Of course, that was after they got the pain down to something manageable. He is resting quite nicely right now so that makes me very happy. I am sitting right next to him writing this email so he is under very careful watch. The nurses are all awesome and they come to our aide in just a moments notice.
Please continue to pray against infection and for miraculous, quick healing! I will have my diffusers here on Saturday and will be diffusing Lemon and Thieves Essential Oils to kill any airborne bacteria in here. It will also provide extra healing, emotional support and immune boosting for all of us. We are depending on your continued and continuous prayers. Please keep those prayer chains going.
We love you all!,
Don and Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment